Here are some ideas of what you can be working on at home:
- Complete the grammar exercises in folder.
- Look over some magazines in your home. Consider the different options for magazine articles and features and what you might like to contribute!
- Practice parts (p. 3 to the end) for the “The Giant’s Wife.”
- Complete one field journal entry; collect specimens to press between two pieces of newspaper in a heavy book, or photograph 10 different flowers and identify them with a field guide.
- Encourage your son to write something for the blog and e-mail it to me.
- Update your son’s memorization chart. Work on memorizing the following (the flashcards at quizlet.com and the CD can help):
- Name the 8 parts of speech
- NOUN, PRONOUN, ADJECTIVE, VERB, ADVERB, and CONJUNCTION definitions
- Psalm 100, Psalm 23
- Celery, The Vulture, Singing Time
- Jabberwocky (whole poem)
- The Ballad of Pecos Bill
We will do a review game most weeks that includes grammar definitions, poetry, math facts, and other interesting things we encounter in nature and in the radio shows.
A friend introduced me to this site–XtraMath–which has been invaluable in helping my kids quickly master the basic math facts. If your son is struggling to get these down, I’d encourage you to check it out. It’s about 10 minutes a day and totally mom-free!